TOP SEEDS CONCORDIA AND GOLDEY-BEACOM ADVANCE TO CACC WOMEN'S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
NEW HAVEN, CT - Top seeded Concordia College and No. 2 Goldey-Beacom College won their respective Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference (CACC) Women’s Tennis Tournament semi-final contests this afternoon to advance to the conference championship match. The Clippers and Lightning will meet at Chestnut Hill College on Thursday, Oct. 15, at 3:00 pm. Concordia defeated No. 4 Philadelphia University today, 5-0, while GBC squeaked past No. 3 Holy Family University, 5-4.
The winner of Thursday’s match will receive the
CACC’s automatic bid to the 2009-10 NCAA Division II Regional
Tournament. Concordia won the regular-season match against
Goldey-Beacom, 9-0, on Oct. 1.
Concordia swept the doubles competition from the Lady Rams to open a quick 3-0 lead. The remaining two points came from the Clippers’ No. 3 (freshman Yuliya Plevako) and No. 5 spots (freshman Maria Ortiz) in singles. Both won by 6-0, 6-0 scores.
Concordia will enter the championship match with a 12-1 record, while Philadelphia, who won the 2008 CACC Championship, is now 9-7.
Holy Family took a lead on Goldey-Beacom by taking the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles matches. The No. 2 match was the most competitive, as Holy Family’s Liana Lui and Melanie Pulsinelli got past Melanie Bonomo and Vanessa Velasquez, 9-8.
Holy Family’s top two singles players, No. 1 Juliana Victoria and No. 2 Jin Querubin, both earned their second wins of the day after teaming for a victory at No. 1 doubles. However, Goldey-Beacom clinched the match by winning the No. 3, 4, 5 and 6 singles matches. The final and deciding point came down to the No. 4 singles contest, as GBC’s Valasquez registered a tough 7-6, 5-7, 6-4 triumph over Lui.
Goldey-Beacom is now 13-1 this season, while Holy Family falls to 9-4.
#1 Concordia 5, #4 Philadelphia 0
1. Ola Roberts (CND) vs. Daniela Rodriguez (PH) - no decision
2. Cristina Oliveira (CND) vs. Christins Brzozowski (PH) - no decision
3. Yuliya Plevako (CND) def. Brittany Villa (PH), 6-0, 6-0
4. Adeline Brennan (CND) vs. Stephanie Miller (PH) - no decision
5. Maria Ortiz (CND) def. Sarah Harris (PHI) 6-0, 6-0
6. Camilla Xavier (CND) vs. Laura Beaver (PH) - no decision
1. Roberts/Oliveira (CND) def. Rodriguez/Villa (PH) 8-0
2. Plevako/Ortiz (CND) def. Miller/Beaver (PH) 8-1
3. Brennan/Xavier (CND) def. Brzozowski/Harris (PH) 8-2
#2 Goldey-Beacom 5, #3 Holy Family 4
1. Juliana Victoria (HFU) def. Melanie Bonomo (GBC) 6-2, 6-3
2. Jin Querubin (HFU) def. Marina Sales (GBC) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Blanca Sancho (GBC) def. Melanie Pulsinelli (HFU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Vanessa Velasquez (GBC) def. Liana Lui (HFU) 7-6 (5) 5-7, 6-4
5. Luciana Pereira (GBC) def. Linda Piecyk (HFU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Daniela Pereira (GBC) def. Chelsea Brown (HFU) 6-7 (6) 6-1, 6-4
1. Victoria/Querubin (HFU) def. Sales/Sancho (GBC) 8-4
2. Lui/Pulsinelli (HFU) def. Bonomo/Velasquez (GBC) 9-8 (1)
3. L. Pereira/D. Pereira (GBC) def. Nicole Dogas/Brown (HFU) 8-1